Microsoft is rolling out the latest feature update for its browser. Version 117 is now available in the stable channel, and brings new features and experiences to customers, such as Microsoft Edge for Business for unmanaged devices, a new feature to restore favorites, autofill improvements, and more.
In addition, Edge 117 deprecates several tools to simplify the browser. With the latest update, Math Solver, Picture Dictionary, Quotes, Grammar Tool and Child Mode are no longer in active development. Although still available, Microsoft may remove the deprecated features in future updates.
What’s new in Microsoft Edge 117?
Announcement: Microsoft Edge for Business is available for unmanaged BYOPC
Microsoft Edge for Business is a dedicated Microsoft Edge experience built for work, enabling managers in organizations to provide their users with a productive and secure work browser. This dedicated work experience is now available for unmanaged Windows (BYOPC) using Microsoft Intune Mobile Application Management (MAM). This release includes the supporting changes for Microsoft Edge.
- Support is available for Windows 11, build 10.0.22621 (22H2) and later.
- Requires Microsoft Intune 2309 or higher
- Conditional access to protect an app is in public preview.
- If you have a conditional access (CA) policy on your tenant that targets “all cloud apps” that covers “mobile apps and desktop clients” and requires a compatible device, an app protection policy, or has a “block” grant control, your end users will not be able to sign in to MAM. A change to support this is for Microsoft Edge v118.
- If you want to continue testing/evaluating APP CA, you can choose to exclude the “Edge Auth” app from targeting your cloud app. Some Microsoft Edge features may not work properly until CA is satisfied, but MAM registration can be completed.
- Microsoft Edge for Business banner. Administrators can control the availability of the Microsoft Edge for Business banner within the product using the PromotionalTabsEnabled policy.
- Restore Microsoft Edge Sync Favorites. Microsoft Edge Sync’s Favorites Restore feature allows users to sync and restore any favorites they’ve lost or deleted in the past 14 days. Users can access this feature from the Microsoft Edge Favorites Center or from the edge://favorites page. For more information, see Recover lost or deleted favorites in Microsoft Edge – Microsoft Support
- Autofill Autocomplete. This feature helps you fill out form fields faster online. When you start typing in a form field, Microsoft Edge suggests possible line completions when there is an exact match to your saved data in the browser. For example, if you type the first few characters of your address, autocomplete will suggest the rest of the addresses – you can choose the autocomplete suggestion or continue typing normally. Autofill options can be found in settings (edge://settings/personalinfo).
- Deprecation of Web Select. To improve the end user experience, this feature has been deprecated and will no longer be an option under web capture or using hotkeys.
- Deprecation of features. To improve the end-user experience and simplify the More Tools menu, the following features have been deprecated: Math Solver, Picture Dictionary, Quotes, Grammar Tool, and Kids Mode.
You can download Microsoft Edge 117 by navigating to edge://settings/help. Alternatively, download the browser from the official website. Microsoft Edge 117 is available on Windows 10 and 11, macOS and Linux. Full release notes with security fixes and policy updates are available in the official documentation.