Microsoft Edge 118 is now available to download and test in the beta channel. The update changes the way the browser notifies users about new versions and introduces the new Smart Find that lets you find related matches and synonyms, even with misspelled words. There are also new policies and a new banner for the recently introduced Microsoft Edge for Business experience.
What’s new in Microsoft Edge 118 Beta?
The official changelog includes the following:
- Microsoft Edge for Business banner. Microsoft Edge for Business is a dedicated Microsoft Edge experience built for work, enabling enterprise administrators to provide their users with a productive and secure work browser on managed and unmanaged devices. The Microsoft Edge for Business in-product banner has been deprecated and will no longer be visible.
- Microsoft Edge moves the update experience to Browser Essentials. Getting notifications about available Edge updates will come from Browser Essentials instead of the settings page to improve exposure and experience. Note: This feature is a controlled feature rollout. If you don’t see this feature, check back as we continue our rollout.
- Find on p. Searching for a word or phrase on a web page just got easier with the new smart search update to page search. For more information, see Find on p. Now, when you search using Find on Page, we’ll suggest related matches and synonyms, making it effortless to find what you’re looking for, even if you misspell a word in your search query. When searching, simply select the suggested word to quickly locate the word or phrase you want on the page. The data is sent to Microsoft for processing. For more information, see Microsoft Edge privacy paper. Administrators can control availability using the RelatedMatchesCloudServiceEnabled policy.
- New SmartScreen policy. God ExemptSmartScreenDownloadWarnings The policy allows administrators to create a dictionary of file type extensions with a corresponding list of domains that will be exempt from SmartScreen AppRep warnings. Files with file type extensions specified for domains identified by this policy will still be subject to file extension-based security warnings and mixed content download warnings.
- New Microsoft Edge Update Policy. The MeteredUpdatesDefault and MeteredUpdates policies allow administrators to control the “Download updates over metered connections” setting (edge://settings/help). MeteredUpdatesDefault applies to all apps and MeteredUpdates applies to targeted apps. When a policy is set to allow, updates occur on a tiered connection, such as cellular or other connections where data usage is controlled.
You can download Microsoft Edge 118 Beta from the official website. The browser is available on Windows 11, 10, macOS, Linux and Android. Release on the stable channel is planned for the week of October 12, 2023.
Report a problem with the article