Microsoft Edge developers are back from the holiday season with a new weekly update for users testing the browser on the Dev channel. As usual, the release brings minor changes, bug fixes and improvements. Android users also got an improved ad blocker and the ability to change the wallpaper on the home page.
However, the latest Edge Dev update also proves that using a preview channel as your primary browser isn’t the best idea. There are several reports of the browser crashing in a loop, and Microsoft has already confirmed the problem, promising to release a necessary fix as soon as possible.
If your copy of Microsoft Edge Dev 110.0.1587.1 doesn’t crash, here are the changes you’ll find:
- A new ad blocking feature now lets you block ads with a long press.
- You can now change the wallpaper on the new tab page.
- Added an experimental API for managing permissions.
- New Policy (Note: Updates to documentation and management templates may not have occurred yet)
- Print preview sticky settings policy.
- Contact mode policy.
- Policy to disable the Immersive Reader grammar tool.
- Fixed a browser crash related to an out-of-memory condition when visiting certain shopping sites.
- Fixed a browser crash related to illegal vector access on web pages.
- Fixed browser crash related to McAfee drive encryption.
- Fixed browser crash by disabling WebAuthn autofill functionality due to issue.
- Fixed browser crash when running full screen mode.
- Fixed browser crash when using the translator.
- Fixed a browser crash when viewing a new tab page.
- Fixed browser crash when downloading a file.
- Fixed a browser crash due to a conditional access workflow trying too many times when the patch fails on Android.
- Fixed URLs not being added to the whitelist when the replacement was disabled in site typo protection.
- Fixed favicon not loading correctly when installing a website as an app.
- Prevent the browser window from remaining open if it contains only an empty tab opened by a ClickOnce interaction.
- Removed recently closed offers from the address bar so that they now only continue in the current browser session instead.
- Fix Can’t expand or collapse the tab group while the tab group menu is displayed.
- ALT + S shortcut no longer activates the screenshot functionality.
- Share workspace notification will now close when clicked outside the UI.
- Fixed visual search button appearing outside the image when scrolling.
- Fixed not being able to swipe up on a new tab page.
- Fixed page being squashed when using Split View on iPad.
- Fixed an automatic profile switching issue where it keeps returning to a work profile from a personal profile.
- Fixed the issue when trying to sign in from Add Account showing a circle.
- Fixed Add current page to favorites button not appearing after editing a favorite.
- WebResourceRequested API is promoted from experimental to public.
- Fixed DPI mismatch.
- The native Windows sharing option has been disabled due to not working as expected in HoloLens and UWP apps.
- Fixed custom rasterization scaling bug. (#2918)
- Remove the ShadowStackCrashRollbackBehavior policy.
- Fixed focus failing to work with showModalDialog and window.open in IE mode workflows.
- Fixed an issue where visiting a URL that is in the AllowListUrls policy causes a new InPrivate tab to open to a non-AllowList URL on iOS.
You can download Microsoft Edge Dev on Windows, macOS, Linux, and Android From the official Edge Insider website. Note that the browser Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 are no longer supported.
As an online publication, Neowin relies on ads for operating costs, and if you use an ad blocker, we’d love to be whitelisted. Plus, we have an ad-free subscription for $28/year, which is another way to show support!