It’s update time for those using PowerToys on Windows 10 and 11. Version 0.74 is now available for download with many fixes and improvements. This version includes a new utility called Crop And Lock, it allows you to select an application and crop it to a smaller window or thumbnail. Keyboard Manager now supports Numpad, FancyZones contains code improvements and a refactor and more.
Here are the main points of the update:
- Upgraded to Windows App SDK 1.4.1, increases stability of WinUI3 utilities. Thanks @dongle-the-gadget About to start the upgrade!
- Text Extractor has been upgraded to its 2.0 version, with a new overlay, table mode and other quality of life improvements. Thanks @TheJoeFin!
- Improved the stability of FancyZones, fixed some layout resets and improved the handling of newly created windows in Windows 11.
- Fixed many silent crashes reported to Watson and the user event viewer.
And the full changelog is below:
- Turning off the animations in Windows settings will now also turn them off in PowerToys.
- Upgrade Windows App SDK dependencies to 1.4.1. Thanks @dongle-the-gadget For the original 1.4.0 upgrade!
- Show in the thumbnail label and application titles when running as an administrator. Thanks @davidegiacometti!
- Upgrade Win UI Community Toolkit dependencies to 8.0. Thanks @niels9001!
- Added sampled versions below to the app icon. Thanks @morriscurtis!
The color picker
- After adding a new color in the editor, the history will scroll the new color into view. Thanks @peerpalo!
Cut and shoe
- Fixed a cut and lock crash that would occur when trying to reframe a window, the target application course. An error message is displayed instead.
- Set the process and main thread priority to normal.
- Fixed handling of newly created windows in Windows 11.
- Fixed scenarios where opening the FancyZones editor would reset the layouts.
File Explorer add-ons
- Optimized CPU usage for creating SVG thumbnails.
- Improved handling of Gcode thumbnails, including JPG and QOI formats. Thanks @pedrolamas!
- Better handled errors when sending telemetry, which caused reported crashes.
- Fixed some thumbnails not being displayed in the center like before the optimization.
- Shows files opened by processes with a PID greater than 65535. Thanks @poke30744!
- Fixed a GDI object leak in the context menu that would crash Explorer.
find my mouse
Hosts File Editor
- Ignore the ACME default values for example in the hosts file. Thanks @davidegiacometti!
- Improved save error handling and added better error messages. Thanks @davidegiacometti!
- Fixed a check for an error when telling the application to start as an administrator.
- Changed the context menu. Thanks @davidegiacometti!
- Fixed dialog boxes overlapping the title bar after upgrading to Windows App SDK 1.4. Thanks @davidegiacometti!
- Differentiate between a normal minus key and a numeric minus key.
Mouse without borders
- Fixed a crash when trying to restart the application.
take a peek
- Using Peek in HTML files will default to a white background, similar to the default behavior of a browser.
- Fixed white flash on dark theme when changing file and improved development file preview detection and adjustments.
- Fixed a crash caused by large counter values with the new counting method.
- Now you can choose which shell is used by the Shell plugin.
- A combined option type has been added to the plugin options.
- Fixed a bug in the calculator plugin that caused decimal numbers to be misinterpreted in places where the dot (
.character ) is not used as a decimal or digit separator.
- Improved the stability of the program plugin when it fails to load a program thumbnail on startup.
- You can now enable the use of Pinyin to query certain plugins in the settings. Thanks @ChaseKnowlden!
- Re-typed options for plugin and added number, string and composite types for future use. Thanks @htcfreek!
- Fixed the entry to search for Windows updates in the settings plugin. Thanks @htcfreek!
- The “all languages” character set is now calculated by programmatically querying the characters for each available language. Thanks @dannysummerlin!
- Added é to the Norwegian and Swedish languages. Thanks @Aharon-Jonker!
- Added a runtime cache to the “all languages” character set, to calculate accents only once per key.
Preview the listing
- Fixed focus issues on startup.
- Improved the data visualization to display data in a manner similar to the Windows Registry Editor. Thanks @dillydylann!
- Fixed hang when a bug report is generated from swap. Thanks @davidegiacometti!
- Improved the way the OOBE window responds to changing the Windows theme.
- Fixed an issue that made it possible to change the “Switch between windows in current zone” “Next window” shortcut for FancyZones.
- Fixed a crash when entering a duplicate name for a color on the color picker page and improved cleanup when undoing a color edit. Thanks @davidegiacometti!
- Text Extractor 2.0, with new overlay, table mode and other quality of life improvements. Thanks @TheJoeFin!
- Fixed PowerToys running locale-failed DateTime plugin tests so that they can run correctly on all development machines.
- Fixed PowerToys running failed system plug-in tests for certain network interfaces so that they can be run correctly on all development machines. Thanks @snickler!
- Fixed a markup bug in the GitHub /helped command.
- Changed build pipelines to a new agent pool. Thanks @DHoett!
- New .cs files created in Visual Studio are labeled AutoAdd. Thanks @davidegiacometti!
Report a problem with the article