Microsoft has released a new preview build of the Windows Server Long-Term Servicing Channel (LTSC). Today’s build 25951 is now available for download as an ISO from the Windows Server Insider site along with a VHDX. It contains both the (Windows 11) Desktop Experience and a Server Core installation option for Datacenter and the Standard Edition. There’s also an Azure edition, but it’s only available via virtual machines.
There is a dedicated blog post For this new release. However, it has the same release notes as the previous ones for builds 25931 and 25941. Having said that, here is the changelog:
- The deployment experience for Azure Arc-enabled servers is now available in the latest Windows Server Insider Desktop build. Find the new Azure Arc icon in the system tray (lower right corner of the taskbar). Try installing and configuring the (free) Azure Connected Machine Agent using the Azure Arc Setup Wizard that can be launched from the system tray icon. After starting Azure Arc on your server, find status information in the system tray icon.
- Closers to the server’s data center! Take the Windows Server Terminal Utility for a test run! Search for “Terminal” in the latest Server Datacenter Insider build and launch the application.
- Storage Log Enhanced Replica is now available in the latest Windows Server Insider build. Enhanced Log provides improved performance for block replication by removing file system abstractions—and their performance costs—from the Storage Replica log implementation. More information and deployment instructions are available at Learn: link.
- If you are validating upgrades from Windows Server 2019 or 2022, we do not recommend using this build because intermittent upgrade failures have been detected for this build.
- This build has an issue where archiving event logs with the “wevetutil al” command causes the Windows Event Log service to crash and the archive operation to fail. The service must be restarted by running “Start-Service EventLog” from an administrative command line.
- If you have enabled Secure Activation Code Path/DRTM, we do not recommend installing this build.
Windows Server Preview is currently at the same build number as the current Windows 11 Insider Canary channel, which may indicate that we won’t see a new version of Server until 2024, when Windows 12 is expected to be released.
Here is more important information about this release:
Downloads are available
Downloads for some countries may not be available. See Microsoft suspends new sales in Russia – Microsoft On the Issues
- Windows Server Long Term Channel Preview in ISO format in 18 languages, and VHDX format in English only.
- Preview of Windows Server Datacenter Azure Edition in ISO and VHDX format, in English only.
- Preview of Microsoft server languages and optional features
Keys: The keys are valid for building a preview only
- Server Standard: MFY9F-XBN2F-TYFMP-CCV49-RMYVH
- Data center: 2KNJJ-33Y9H-2GXGX-KMQWH-G6H67
- Azure Edition does not accept a key
Symbols: available on the public symbol server – see Using Microsoft Symbol ServeR.
Expiration: Windows Server Preview expires on September 15, 2023.
Report a problem with the article